Thursday 3 November 2011

Pretty In Pink

EDIT - ONTDers, please vote for us for best pairing in the ONTD Annual Halloween Contest (or you know, the other people, if you prefer them). Thank you!

In other Halloween news, I finally got to live out my dream of being Andie Walsh for a day and consequently entered the "I Die for DIY" Chictopia contest.

Pretty In Pink is definitely my favourite Molly Ringwald film, and I’ve always wanted to pay homage to the ultimate monstrosity/amazingness that was Andie Walsh’s prom dress.

If, like me, you were simultaneously horrified and fascinated at the Frankenstein mess of a dress that Andie reveals at the end of the film – then you will know how much satisfaction I felt when I sewed that final stitch – knowing that come Halloween, I too, would be PRETTY IN PINK.

Of course, I needed Andie’s partner in crime – so naturally roped in my bff to play the role of Duckie. He did some DIY of his own – cutting an Elvis wig down to Duckie’s original curly quiff, and making his arm patch with some felt.

I made the dress out of the cheapest material I could find ($1 a metre, heeeyyy), and some lace to match. I also made some faux pearl earrings (details, details). Upon further inspection and costume research, I learned that both Andie and I have two piercings on our left ear which is an obvious indication that this costume was meant to be!

Surprisingly, this mess of a dress took longer to make than I expected – so let’s give credit to the incredible fashion designer/fashion icon that was Andie Walsh.




We also entered the ONTD costume contest - ha, God help us!

Anyway, do vote if you enjoy a great homemade ugly dress.

Mx

4 comments:

Hayley said...

You looked great!! Love this costume so much! x

Anonymous said...

You nailed the dress! I too am going as Andie Walsh for Halloween and was wondering if you still have the pattern you used?? I have very limited sewing skills and could use a little direction.

Thanks!!

Jody

Anonymous said...

You nailed the dress! I too am going as Andie Walsh for Halloween and was wondering if you still have the pattern you used?? I have very limited sewing skills and could use a little direction.

Thanks!!

Jody

Prom Dress said...

Just try to make reference to ones substance can be as unimaginable. This lucidity with your post is great and that I may believe you're a master for this issue. High caliber alongside your agree license me to hold onto your present provide for keep adjusted by utilizing moving toward blog entry. Much obliged many alongside you ought to go on the pleasurable take care of business.
if you want to learn more: Pretty In Pink Prom Dress